224-226 King’s Road was built in 1909 to designs by the architect Reginald Blomfield, replacing a number of terraced houses formerly on the site. It comprised a bank (originally a branch of the London and County, later part of Natwest) and a shop on the ground floor, with two flats above. A major internal refurbishment took place in 1964, with the shop area converted to office space for the bank, as well as various alterations to the banking hall itself. In 1993 an extension was built to the rear, facing Chelsea Manor Street, and the interiors of the flats were remodelled.
This scheme includes the transformation of three buildings, including a Grade II listed Banking Hall and Townhouse, to provide world-class retail and residential accommodation. It seeks to protect the handsome Edwardian street-facing elevations and the original features of the Banking Hall which make a significant contribution to the surrounding Conservation area.
AccentHansen Ltd is delighted to be awarded the Bespoke Shopfront package for 224-226 Kings Road. The property is a former bank building that is Grade II listed. The bank building will be retained and refurbished keeping the original ceiling and plaster work in the former banking hall and provide a single large retail unit at ground and basement levels. A new extension is proposed on Chelsea Manor Street with a small shop and entrance to 6 new apartments within the refurbished bank and new contemporary designed extension.
Works will include the design, supply and installation of bespoke arch windows, entrance doors and screens.