The museum was founded in 1901 by Frederick John Horniman, and is located in Forest Hill, London. The Horniman specialises in anthropology, natural history and musical instruments and has a collection of 350,000 objects.
The museum is set in 16 acres (65,000 m²) of gardens, which include the following features:
- A Grade II listed conservatory from 1894 which was moved from Horniman’s family house in Croydon to the present site in the 1980s
- A bandstand from 1912
- An enclosure for small animals
- A nature trail
- An ornamental garden
- Plants for materials; medicines; foods and dyes
- A sound garden with large musical instruments for playing
- A new building, the Pavilion, for working on materials that are outside of the collections, such as from the gardens.
Allies and Morrison
AccentHansen were asked to replace two bespoke steel doorsets supplied many years ago. As can be seen in the images, the door has ornamental steel fins attached to the front of each door. These had to be recreated and matched to the fins on the rest of the building, requiring a detailed survey to be completed first.